Tuesday 7 February 2012

Woman On The Edge of Time - Project book cover



Created in my first year of University, this is a book cover redesign based on the book 'Woman On The Edge of Time' by Marge Piercy. It is a very complex & disturbing book, but a good read, if hard to understand at times. It explores many themes, primarily feminism, racism & sexuality, and also hierarchy and superiority among classes of people, slavery, science & advancement.

I wanted to create a cover that showed how disturbing the book was, and showed how the female protagonist felt during the story, being mentally tortured, scarred and broken down by the asylum. I experimented with chalks, drawing tallies & portal swirls, drawing on my wall to achieve a realistic effect.

UPDATE: I have been in talks with the great designer & illustrator M.S Corley, see my post on him below, and he has given me loads of great tips on how I can improve my book cover. I need to make the writing along the spine thicker, so it's easier to read over the white background behind it. Among other tips, he really enjoyed the concept behind my design, and thought it was clever, which is ace to hear from a professional book cover designer. I really appreciate the time he took out of his busy schedule to look at my work & critique it for me. I will update it soon, and repost it; it is one of my favourite pieces of work after all
http://mscorley.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment