Tuesday 15 February 2011

In Every Frame & Vernacular

Over the last 2 weeks we have had two more photography challenges. 
           The first one of these briefs we were given was called 'In Every Frame'. We had to create 10 photographs based on the theme of surveillance and show consideration of sequence and art direction as a way of conveying narrative, character and atmosphere. So we had to create an initial storyboard, showing what and how our story is going to be based on and where it is going. We also had to choose a subject to photograph, and give them our instructions on how to pull off a pose or cast a shadow etc where we wanted it. I choose my good friend Harry Winfield as my subject. Whilst always showing basic rules and principles of photography well and accurately, we had to make these as dark and stalker themed as possible.












Real weird ending eyyy? I dunno
I just had this idea in my
head of it should end, and it did...with no inspiration from
Iron Man or E.T....none in the slightest.

The second, most recent, and final photography-brief, was 'Vernacular'. We had to create 10 photographs in a form of social documentation, with observational skills and confident photography execution.  Now, for those of you who have no idea what the word 'Vernacular' means, which I didn't until before I went out to take my pictures, it is meant to create a descriptive for something unique or peculiar to a certain place. Like a tractor on a farm, or a log cabin in a wood (example given to me by Harry). In a way, it is being able to identify a location through imagery instead of/as opposed to words. I shot all my images around Lincoln, and gathered a broad range of imagery to complete this brief. Whilst always showing basic rules and principles of photography well and accurately, I really had to look at the foundations of Lincoln and why they were it's foundations, choose my shots wisely and really be able to identify them with Lincoln before I could use them.












No comments:

Post a Comment